UIC Admissions Glossary of Terminology
This glossary contains definitions for commonly used terms, categories and codes that are referenced in the application process and in the weekly application status reports.
The Common Application tracks data on their end using their "History" feature. The terms they use in that form are as follows:
- Common App Suspect
- Has added UIC to their list of colleges.
- Common App Prospect
- Has indicated an enrollment term and decision plan on the UIC member screen.
- Common Applicant
- Has submitted Common Application, UIC portion, and fee/waiver.
- Counselor/teacher submitting school forms (transcripts, letters, etc.).
- UIC Web Applicant
- Transfer, readmission, Second Bachelor's, or non-degree student that has submitted UIC web Application.
- First Generation
- Any applicant where neither parent has received a bachelor's degree or higher. 2015 applications will be marked with an 'F' in the First Generation field. Common App derives this based on applicant response to parent information.
- Multi Generation
- Any applicant where at least one parent has a bachelor's degree or higher. 2015 applications will be marked with an 'M' in the First Generation field. Common App derives this based on applicant response to parent information.
- Fall Early Action
- Complete application by 11/1; receive decision by 12/1.
- Fall Regular Decision
- Apply by 1/15/XX deadline for upcoming Fall consideration.
- First Year
- Currently attending high school or have graduated from high school and have never attended a college or university. December/January high school graduates who take college courses in the spring or summer semester immediately following graduation may still apply as a First Year student.
- Student who has previously enrolled in a college and/or university post high school graduation.
- Second Bachelor's
- Second bachelor's degree applicants have already been awarded a bachelor's degree from a 4-year university and want to pursue a second bachelor's degree in a different program.
- Nondegree applicants do not want to enroll in a degree-seeking program but wants to take course(s) for credit.
- Readmission applicants are former UIC students who were registered as degree-seeking undergraduates and who left the University for two or more semesters in succession (summer session excluded).
Applicant Status Types: First Year
- Submitted application
- The application is “in the mail.” The applicant has answered all mandatory questions and finalized submission of the application on their end.
- Common App (all First Year, some Transfer): all mandatory Common Application questions and UIC member questions have been answered and a fee submitted/waiver requested.
- Web App (Transfer): all mandatory questions on the UIC web application have been answered. A fee may be submitted at this time, or applicants can choose to pay later.
- Received Application
- The application has been "delivered" to UIC. We can see that application record in Banner and the application will show up on reports.
- Incomplete application
- UIC has received the application but not all of the mandatory supporting documents. The application shows up in Banner and on reports, but it is not ready to be reviewed.
- For First Year, the missing requirements usually include the high school transcript, ACT/SAT scores, or English proficiency exam results.
- For Transfer, this is usually a college transcript, English proficiency exam result, or an application fee/waiver.
- Complete Application
- UIC has received the application and all of the mandatory supporting documents that are required by the Office of Admissions. A complete application is ready to be reviewed, although some programs/departments may require further supplemental materials beyond the admissions requirements.
Ethnicity and Race Codes
Students are asked to self-identify their Ethnicity and Race in the application. The following are the reporting categories for race and ethnicity in AES reports (following the Banner reporting categories). Not all categories are represented in the standard AES reports, but are reported here for information. The decision rules for each combination of race and ethnicity are shown in italics:
- Includes individuals of any race who identify as Hispanic or Latino.
- American Indian or Alaska Native (AIAN)
- American Indian or Alaska Native as their sole race and did not report Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Includes only persons who reported Asian as their sole race and did not report Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Black or African American
- Includes only persons who reported Black or African American as their sole race and did not report Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Includes any combination of two or more races and not Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (NHPI)
- Includes only persons who reported Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander as their sole race and did not report Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Includes only persons who reported White as their sole race and did not report Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.
- Includes students who choose to not identify any race or ethnicity category.
- Includes students who identify as nonresident alien (not a citizen of national of the U.S. and is in this country on a visa or temporary basis) or resident alien.
Residency for Tuition Purposes
- In-State: In-State tuition
- Chicago Grant: Out-of-State tuition with Chicago Grant applied
- Out-of-State: Out-of-State tuition
*Residency for Tuition Purposes is reported on AES Summary Report and the three categories above are exclusive of one other. (ex. Chicago Grant + Out-of-State = Total non-Illinois residents)
Decision Codes (most common)
- Pre-Decision Codes
- 94= Application referred to department for review
- 95= Awaiting preliminary review
- 99= Review complete; awaiting decision
- Final Decision Codes
- 18= Application withdrawn
- 45= Admit to Bridge program
- 59= Admit Pending final transcript
- 66= Offered alternative program (ex. ENGR deny -> LAS admit)
- 78= Denied due to incomplete application/missing item(s)
- 96= Deny
- 98= Admit
- Post Decision Codes
- 20= Applicant rejects offer of admission
- 22= Applicant accepts offer of admission (ITE)
- 27= Admission Rescinded